Saturday, January 24, 2009

First time is the hardest time...

This is the hardest part of nursing... the loss of a life. A pt died on the floor, and though it was not my pt, it was still hard to take. How crazy that we come on the floor, eager and ready to sustain life and to have it leave that quick. A fellow student was the one that was caring for the pt. And tho it was not anyone's fault for the death, it was still sad. The family didn't have time to even make it to the hospital in time. The pt passed without anyone there, not even a nurse in the room. Understanding the circumstances of her passing away really doesn't make it any better. My poor classmate had to actually bag and move the body. So, how does it feel when it is your pt? I know that at some point it will happen, I can say without a doubt, I hope it isn't for a very long time. I don't think that I could handle it right now as a student. And most likely not as a new grad. The hardest part was not the passing, the hardest part was the passing without family there to hold her hand as she left this world... how scary to die alone. It would be so terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment